Visa Requirements
02 December 2019 11:44

Information about the mode of entry to Ukraine can be found on page Entry regime to Ukraine for foreign citizens

For current border crossing rules please visit

The citizens of the United States of America are eligible to enter or transit through the territory of Ukraine on a visa-free basis if their stay doesn't exceed 90 days in 180 days period.

If you would like to calculate the number of days you are permitted to stay in Ukraine please use the migration calculator program (the program will be downloaded to your computer).

The policy does not apply to US citizens entering Ukraine with aim of the study, work, or other purposes with a duration of stay of more than 90 days (see Long-term visas).

US citizens need a valid passport to enter Ukraine. A visa/Ukrainian residency permit is required for a stay longer than 90 days. If you need a visa, please apply for it in advance at the Embassy of Ukraine or Consulates General as long-term visas can not be issued upon arrival.

Remember, in Ukraine the date is written day-month-year. If you come to Ukraine before your visa allows you to, you will not be allowed to enter Ukraine and are required to return to your point of origin at your own expense.

ATTENTION! As of January 2022, the collection of biometric data of foreigners and stateless persons is required at the time of visa application submission to the Embassy/Consular office.

You can apply personally at the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine during public open hours.

Be advised that the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine does NOT offer one-day visa processing. Regular visa processing is up to 10 working days and expedited processing - up to 5 working days.

It is advised to apply for a visa not earlier than three months prior to the trip.


Visa processing starts only after we have registered your application and collected all necessary documents. A drop-off day is not counted as a business day.

Attention! From January 01, 2019, there will be no "visa upon arrival" at the Airports of Ukraine. Instead citizens of relevant countries* can apply for E-visa!

* the following countries are E-visa eligible: Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Barbados, Bahrain, Bolivia, Bhutan, Vanuatu, Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras, Grenada, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Cambodia, Qatar, Costa Rica, Kuwait, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Mauritius, Malaysia, Maldives, Mexico, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Oman, Palau, Peru, El Salvador, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Singapore, Suriname, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Fiji, Jamaica.

1. Application made online.

After you have registered online, the application is to be printed out, dated and signed twice box 36 and under the statements at the very bottom. The application is required for each passport holder - answered completely and select date and time of visa appointment.

NOTE: As of January 2022 all applicants must submit their visa applications in person only since their biometrics will be completed at the time of visa application submission. 

The exceptions to the collection of biometric data requirements are: 

- children under the age of 12 years old,

- diplomatic and service passport holders applying for appropriate visa types,

- individuals with disabilities that make it impossible to collect biometric data. 

2. A national passport (issued within the last 10 years, valid for at least three months beyond the intended stay and having at least two blank visa designated pages);

3. One passport photo - passport-sized, recent ID picture in ISO/IECI format;

4. Together with the listed above the document, hereinafter referred to as the "SUPPORTING DOCUMENT", related to the purpose of entry, must be submitted in support of the Application for Short- or Long-term visa (see DOCUMENTS TO BE THE GROUND FOR CORRESPONDENT TYPE OF VISA).

5. Travel Medical Insurance: confirmation letter from Health Insurance Company stating coverage with a minimum of 30.000 EURO for trips outside the US valid for Ukraine. If you do not have insurance, or your insurance company cannot provide such a specific letter, you must purchase travel medical insurance for the entire duration of your trip and provide proof of purchase (e.g. HCC Medical, Cigna Life, Travel Guard, Seven Corners etc.). Copy of healthcare card is not sufficient.

6. Proof of sufficient financial means for the intended journey:

  • bank account statements – last 2 months,
  • or proof of income e.g. pay slips - last 3 months,
  • or, if self employed - tax return from previous fiscal year,
  • or, if retired - confirmation from the responsible authority about the amount of pension.

7. Visa fee – 65$ (Attention! For some countries, including USA, and visa types different fee applies) visa-fees.pdf

Payable in Money Order or Cashier's Check only. Personal checks are not accepted;

8. If not a US citizen - proof of legal residence in the US and re-entry document:

  • notarized copy of Residence Card (Green Card),
  • valid US visa: type A, E, F (with endorsed I-20), G, H, I, J, L, O, R (proving your stay in the US for more than 6 months);

9. Return shipment: self-addressed and prepaid envelope. Please provide USPS Express or Priority Mail envelopes. 

Please note: The Consular office has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. The latter is hereby informed that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the automatic issuance of the visa.

There are three types of visas:

1. Short-term visa (C), allows stay in Ukraine for the period up to 90 days within 180 days starting from the date of first entry to Ukraine (not issued to the US citizens). There are single entry, two-entries and multiple-entries visas valid for the period of up to 5 years.

2. Long-term visa (D), issued for applicants entering Ukraine with the purpose of obtaining a residence permit in Ukraine (required by Migration authorities of Ukraine according to the legislation of Ukraine). Issued for 90 days (see details below).

3. Transit visa (B), which allows to transit travel through the territory of Ukraine within the period of 5 days.

Short-term visa

Not issued to the US citizens (citizens of other countries please check here if you need one).


Original tourist voucher, issued by Ukrainian relevant touristic agency. When entering Ukraine a hard copy of the voucher may be requested.


Original Letter of invitation from a legal person registered in Ukraine, presented on the official letterhead, containing indication of the number assigned in the Unified State Registry of legal entities, individual entrepreneurs and citizens’ associations of Ukraine, registration number, date and signature, full name of invited person, information about his/her date and place of birth, nationality, passport details, place of residence, purpose of visit, duration of intended visit to Ukraine, number of entries and place of stay in Ukraine, legal person’s obligations towards eventual costs related to the invited person’s stay in or departure from Ukraine;


Original Notarized Letter of invitation from Ukrainian citizen (foreigner or stateless person legally residing in Ukraine). Invitation shall contain full name of person, his/her passport details (for a foreigner or stateless person - temporary or permanent residency permit), address, and full name of invited person, his/her date and place of birth, nationality, passport details, place of residence, purpose of visit, duration of intended visit to Ukraine, number of entries and place of stay in Ukraine, physical person’s obligations towards possible costs related to the invited person’s stay or departure from Ukraine. The copies of hosting person’s passport (for a foreigner or stateless person - temporary or permanent residency permit in Ukraine) must be also enclosed;


Document confirming direct family relations to citizen of Ukraine (parents, children, spouses only).


Letter of Invitation from the Ukrainian Ministry or other State or Governmental Authorities.


Letter of the Foreign State Authority or International Organization


Letter from the foreign mass-media requesting the visa for journalist or mass-media’s representative to visit Ukraine within performing of his/her duties.


Original letter of invitation from Ukrainian Church approved by the State Authority, that registered the religious organization in Ukraine, as well as a document which confirms the registration of the Church in Ukraine.

Medical Treatment 

Original Letter of Invitation from Ukrainian hospital.


Document confirming the registration of investment to the economy of Ukraine.


Document confirming the ownership of property in Ukraine.

Originally born in Ukraine

The document of Foreign Ukrainian (Posvidchennia Zakordonnogo Ukraincia). Family members of the Foreign Ukrainian should provide the document, proving the relationship to him/her.  

Long-term visa

A long-term visa (D type) is issued as a multiple entry visa for a period of 90 days.

During that period while in Ukraine the Applicant should apply to the correspondent regional State Migration Service of Ukraine to obtain Permanent/Temporary Residence Card (proceeding from the visa obtained) which will allow staying and entering Ukraine without a visa.


Employment permit - (DOZVIL NA PRATSEVLASHTUVANNIA) issued by the Ukrainian State Center of Employment for applicant (to be arranged in advance by the employer in Ukraine).

Student visa

Original letter of invitation to study issued by the Ukrainian State Center for International Education.

International technical assistance

Original letter of Invitation from the Ukrainian Authority of Ukraine that is a recipient of International technical assistance as well as the confirmation of registration of the International technical assistance project.


The original letter of invitation from a Ukrainian religious organization for a foreign missionary must contain or be accompanied by a written approval under the signature and seal of a responsible official of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine or regional/city administration depending on where the inviting organization is registered.

Cultural and Sports Exchange, Volunteer

Original letter of Invitation from the Ukrainian Authority, responsible for cultural, scientific, educational, and volunteer programs where the foreigner is to participate or the Letter from the Volunteer organization, registered correspondingly in Ukraine (from the list only 2).

Branch of foreign company

Original letter of Invitation from the branch of a foreign company as well as the confirmation from the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine about the registration of the branch of a foreign company.

Branch of foreign bank

Original letter of Invitation from the branch of a foreign bank as well as the confirmation from the National Bank of Ukraine about the registration of the branch of the foreign bank.


Original letter from foreign mass-media 

Family Reunion

  • certificate of Marriage with the citizen of Ukraine (if the marriage was registered not in Ukraine – the certificate is to be legalized/apostilled and notarized translation in Ukrainian must be provided),
  • copy of the passport of the spouse.

Or Document proving the close relationship of the applicant with the holder of a Ukrainian Permanent/Temporary Card along with a notarized copy of the Permanent/Temporary Card.

Fulbright Program Members

The member of the above-mentioned Program has to present a copy of the Registration Card of the International Technical Assistance Project in Ukraine (issued by the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine) and the Invitation Letter from the beneficiary Ministry of Ukraine.

For example, if the beneficiary Ministry of the International Technical Assistance Project in Ukraine is the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine the Applicant has to present a Letter – Invitation from the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.


Copy of the Permit for Immigration to Ukraine issued by the State Immigration Service of Ukraine.

Transit visa

Visa for another country if it is required or air ticket

Confirmation of international transit

Valid license on international freight.

Visa issuance or adjustment is subject to a processing fee in US dollars payable to the Embassy of Ukraine only in the form of a postal money order at the time of the application.

Cash, credit cards, personal or company checks are not accepted.

Fees must be paid in the amounts stated below and should not include return postage.

Embassy of Ukraine in the U.S. charges the following fees for visa processing unless exempted by International Agreements of Ukraine:

  • Single entry visa: $65
  • Double-entry visa: $65
  • Multiple visa: $65

Attention! For some countries, including USA, and visa types different fee applies visa-fees.pdf 

The expedited issuance of a visa or issuance of a visa during non-working hours will be subject to a double consular fee rate. The expedited issuance of a visa can be done at the request of a foreign citizen or stateless person and provided expedited processing is possible.

Be advised that the change of processing time is not possible.

In case of visa refusal, the consular fee is not refunded.

On the RECIPROCAL BASIS, FEES are WAIVED or REDUCED for persons listed in bilateral agreements.


CONSULAR FEES MUST BE PAID BY MONEY ORDER (make payable to the Embassy of Ukraine in the U.S.) a sample can be found here.

If you have any further questions please call (202) 349-2947 or [email protected].

A passport valid for three months beyond the planned date of departure from Ukraine is required.

Foreigners intending to travel to Ukraine, reside in Ukraine, or travel through Ukraine are required to possess the amount of funds equal to 20 days' worth of average monthly per capita subsistence minimums, established in Ukraine on the day of arrival.

Therefore, as for February 1, 2014 a foreigner traveling to Ukraine is to possess average daily amount of approximately $50 U.S., adding extra 5 days reserve ($250 US).

The documents as follows may be presented to prove sufficient funds:

  • Cash in Ukrainian hryvnia or in convertible currency;
  • A valid bank document containing an account balance which can be presented for payments in Ukrainian banks;
  • International pay system cards along with a statement of personal account balance confirming the funds;
  • A document proving hotel or residence booking;
  • A tourist voucher;
  • A letter of invitation (guarantee) from the host/sponsor stating his/her ability to cover all the foreigner's expenses associated with the residence in Ukraine and departing its territory;
  • A traveler’s return or transit ticket.

Please note!

In accordance with Article 21 of the Law of Ukraine, "On Legal Status of Foreigners and Stateless Persons," foreign travelers may be required to present the proof of their financial status for the purpose of selective control at Ukrainian border checkpoints while entering (including transit) the territory of Ukraine.

No proof of sufficient funds is required for the categories of visitors as follows:

  • Foreigners or stateless persons under 18;
  • Tourists on a cruise;
  • Foreign aircrew and warship crew who arrive in Ukraine according to the applicable regulations (on terms agreed upon);
  • Non-military vessel crew;
  • Non-military crew of international airlines or international connection trains, who are on duty and reside within the facilities of airports or train stations;
  • Heads of foreign states or governments, members of parliamentary or governmental delegations, and technical staff with the above representatives or their family members (accompanying on request of central authorities of Ukraine);
  • When in service: officials of international organizations, staff members of their local branches in Ukraine, staff members of state representatives to international organizations that have headquarters in Ukraine and who are eligible for diplomatic privileges and immunities;
  • UN certificate holders and officials of other organizations of the UN system, their family members;
  • Chiefs of foreign diplomatic missions and consular offices, members of diplomatic personnel, consular officers, administrative and technical staff of diplomatic and consular institutions, staff of military attaché and trade representatives, their family members;
  • Diplomatic and Service Passport Holders who travel to Ukraine to perform their official duties, their family members.

Ukraine's legislation on visa issues includes:

On June 4, 2015, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine by its Resolution № 367 approved the Procedure for entry/exit from the temporarily occupied territory of Ukraine.

The key items of the Regulation are:

Foreigners and stateless persons shall entry/exit temporary occupied territory through checkpoints with passport document and special permit issued by local subsidiary of the State Migration Service of Ukraine.
Special permit is issued by local units of the State Migration Service of Ukraine. To apply, a foreigner or stateless person shall submit: application, passport, document confirming legal stay in Ukraine, copy of the page of passport with personal data and its translation into Ukrainian, documents specifying the purpose of the visit to the temporary occupied territory, proof of sufficient funds for staying in Ukraine, three photos 3,5x4,5 cm.
Any person violating the Regulation will be held responsible according to the legislation of Ukraine.

Official checkpoints are following:

  • Vehicle – Kalanchak, Chaplynka, Chongar.
  • Train – Herson, Melitopol, Vadym, Novooleksiivka.
  • The permits are issued to foreigners or stateless persons by the local offices of the State Migration Service of Ukraine on the following grounds:
  • residence of close relatives or family members in the area, evidenced by the documents issued by the authorized state bodies of Ukraine;
  • location of graves of close relatives or family members in the area, evidenced by relevant documents;
  • death of close relatives or family members in the area, evidenced by relevant documents;
  • possession of property in Crimea;
  • visiting the area for the purposes of peaceful settlement of the conflict or humanitarian reasons (only at the request of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
  • performing of diplomatic or consular functions, in particular, within the activities of international organizations, of which Ukraine is a member of (only at the request or consent of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
  • regular trips to the area by railway workers.

Information about people entering/exiting the temporarily occupied territory of Ukraine will be processed by authorized officials of the state border authority of Ukraine in the relevant database.

Additional information in Ukrainian is available here.

Outdated Browser
Для комфортної роботи в Мережі потрібен сучасний браузер. Тут можна знайти останні версії.
Outdated Browser
Цей сайт призначений для комп'ютерів, але
ви можете вільно користуватися ним.
людей використовує
цей браузер
Google Chrome
Доступно для
  • Windows
  • Mac OS
  • Linux
людей використовує
цей браузер
Mozilla Firefox
Доступно для
  • Windows
  • Mac OS
  • Linux
людей використовує
цей браузер
Microsoft Edge
Доступно для
  • Windows
  • Mac OS
людей використовує
цей браузер
Доступно для
  • Windows
  • Mac OS
  • Linux