Date of establishment of diplomatic relations with the U.S.
The United States of America recognized Ukraine as an independent state on December 26, 1991.
Diplomatic relations were established on January 3, 1992.
In 1992 18 Embassies of Ukraine were opened around the world, including the United States of America.
On December 31, 1992 The Government of Ukraine along with the Сoordination Committee to aid Ukraine, the Ukrainian Credit Union "Self-Reliance," the Ukrainian Sister Association and other organizations, as well as many representatives of the Ukrainian-American Community, purchased a house in Washington for the Embassy of Ukraine.
The first Ambassador of Ukraine to the United States of America was Oleg Belarus, and first U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine - Roman Popadiuk – was of Ukrainian origin.
1992 - 1994 — Oleh Bilorus
1994 - 1998 — Juriy Shcherbak
1998 - 1999 — Anton Buteyko
2000 - 2003 — Kostiantyn Gryschenko
2003 - 2005 — Mykhaylo Reznik
2005 - 2010 — Oleh Shamshur
2010 - 2015 — Olexander Motsyk
2015 - 2019 — Valeriy Chaly
2019 - 2021 — Volodymyr Yelchenko
Overlooking the Potomac River, Forrest - Marbury Court is located on M Street and is closely tied to the USA's birth and early growth. In 1695, the parcel of land on which the Forrest - Marbury Court now rests was known as the "New Scotland Hundreds" of Prince Georges County, Maryland. In 1753, when the Maryland Provincial Assembly honored King George II of England by creating a town bearing his name, George Town (now Georgetown), the parcel was designated as Lotts (sic) N 32 and 33 of the new town's original 80 lots.
In 1785, Benjamin Stoddert, the First Secretary of the Navy, purchased the lots and other property from Philadelphia merchant Peter Ashton for the sum of one thousand pounds in gold and silver. Stoddert was a partner with General Uriah Forrest and John Murdock in a successful merchant shipping firm that had been formed immediately following the Revolutionary War.
Beginning in about 1788, Stoddert contracted for construction of a substantial "Gentleman's House" on Falls Street at the center of Lots 32 and 33.
Upon completion of the Forrest - Marbury House, General Forrest, a Revolutionary War hero who lost a leg as a result of injury in the battle of Germantown and the 3rd Mayor of Georgetown, took up residence in 1792. He and his wife, Rebecca, the daughter of Maryland's Governor George Plater, lived there until 1793 or 1794. During the time that General Forrest lived in the Forrest - Marbury House, the Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia, decided that the new nation's capital should be along the Potomac River. They entrusted President George Washington with the responsibility of selecting a suitable site.
Both Stoddert and Forrest had served as Washington's officers in the Revolutionary War and Forrest had at one time been Washington's Aide-de-Camp. Because of this friendship, Washington asked these men to assist in securing an agreement from the nineteen original landowners so that the government could acquire their land for a capital city. These efforts culminated with an agreement in principle, which was reached at the famous March 29, 1791 dinner hosted by Forrest at his home. Washington's diary for that date reads "dined at Colo. Forrest's today with the Commissioner and others". Thus, the Forrest - Marbury House is the site of one of the United States' most significant historical events, the establishment of the federal city of Washington, D.C. With the selection of the nation's capital, development along the Potomac started to expand. Construction of the White House began in 1792, the Capitol Building - in 1793, and Georgetown University - in 1789.
On December 6, 1800 William Marbury, a Federalist and supporter of President John Adams, purchased Forrest - Marbury House for 2,250 pounds (about $5,850 at that time). A short time after Marbury took up residence in his new home, he became involved in one of the most, if not the most, significant court cases in U.S. history.
On his last day in office, Federalist President John Adams, was troubled by the Democratic-Republican philosophical bent of his successor, Thomas Jefferson. He attempted to moderate the impact of the incoming president by making the Judicial branch of government a stronghold for the Federalist doctrine. Adams worked late into the night signing commissions naming 42 loyalists as "Justices of the Peace" for the District of Columbia. The commissions were then sent to the Secretary of State to be sealed and delivered. However, a number were not delivered that night. The next day, Thomas Jefferson was inaugurated, and thereafter the undelivered commissions, including William Marbury's, disappeared.
In 1803, Marbury filed suit against then Secretary of State, James Madison demanding that his commission as Justice of the Peace be delivered. The case, Marbury vs. Madison was heard by Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Marshall. The Court ruled on behalf of the defendant, James Madison, on the grounds that Mr. Marbury's basis for filing was unconstitutional. This landmark case established the Supreme Court's power to rule on the constitutionality of laws passed by Congress and further confirmed this branch of the government's right of judicial review. Despite this setback, Marbury remained a significant figure in the early years of the District of Columbia. He was the first purchasing agent for the Washington Navy Yard and was a Director of both the Bank of Columbia and the Potomac Canal Company.
On December 31,1992, the Government of Ukraine purchased the Forrest - Marbury House for the Embassy of Ukraine. The purchase was made possible by efforts and donations made by the Coordinating Committee to Aid Ukraine, the Ukrainian Self Reliance Federal Credit Union, the Ukrainian Fraternal Association, as well as many other members of the Ukrainian community in the USA.
On June 27, 1997, the George Washington Memorial Room was inaugurated at the Embassy of Ukraine.
Since the establishment of diplomatic relations between Ukraine and the U.S.A. the Ukrainian Ambassadors to the United States have been Oleh Bilorus (1992-1994), Yuriy Shcherbak (1994-1998), Anton Buteyko (1998-1999), Kostyantyn Hryshchenko (2000-2003), Mykhailo Reznik (2003-2005), and Oleh Shamshur (2006 – 2010), Olexander Motsyk (2010-2015).
Для комфортної роботи в Мережі потрібен сучасний браузер. Тут можна знайти останні версії.
Цей сайт призначений для комп'ютерів, але ви можете вільно користуватися ним.