On Februaary 22 and 23, 2014, the Verkhovna Rada (Parliament) of Ukraine approved several decisions that determined the future development of political process in Ukraine and regulated operations of public authorities.
Key legislation includes:
- Resolution on Dissociation of the President of Ukraine from Performance of Constitutional Authorities and Calling for the Early Elections of the President of Ukraine, according to which the early elections of the President of Ukraine are scheduled for May 25, 2014;
- Resolution on Taking Political Responsibility for the Situation in Ukraine, according to which Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Olexander Turchynov is entrusted with coordination and direction of the activities of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine pending the formation of a coalition government;
- Resolution on Entrusting the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada with Duties of the President of Ukraine under Article 112 of the Constitution of Ukraine, according to which Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Olexander Turchynov is entrusted with duties of the President of Ukraine;
- Resolution on Prevention of Manifestations of Separatism and Other Infringements of Basics of the National Security of Ukraine, which condemns manifestations of separatism and demands from the Security Service of Ukraine operative investigation of all reports about actions that show signs of crimes against basics of the national security of Ukraine, including infringements of territorial integrity and inviolability of Ukraine, and taking stern and exhaustive measures to stop and prevent threats to Ukraine’s national security;
- Resolution on The Text of Constitution of Ukraine as In Force on June 28, 1996 as Amended and Supplemented by Laws of Ukraine Dated December 8, 2004 #2222-IV, Dated February 1, 2011 #2952-VI, Dated September 19, 2013 #586-VII, according to which the provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine adopted at the Fifth Session of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine as amended by Laws of Ukraine dated December 8, 2004 #2222-IV, dated February 1, 2011 #2952-VI, dated September 19, 2013 #586-VII, are recognized as valid in the territory of Ukraine;
- Law on Amending Certain Laws of Ukraine (Regarding Some Issues of Judicial Organization and Status of Judges), which provides for parliamentary control over appointment, election and dismissal of judges, and their accountability;
- Law on Repeal of the Law of Ukraine on the Basics of State Linguistic Policy.
Several staffing decisions were made. Thus, acting Minister of Interior Zacharchenko, acting Minister of Foreign Affairs Kozhara, acting Minister of Healthcare Bogatyryova, acting Minister of Education Tabachnyk were dismissed, and a no-confidence motion was passed against Prosecutor-General Pshonka.
In addition, Mr. Oleg Machnitsky was appointed Commissioner of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for Control over Activities of the Prosecutor-General’s Office, Mr. Volodymyr Zamana was appointed Commissioner of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for Control over Activities of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, Mr. Valentyn Nalyvaychenko was appointed Commissioner of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for Control over Activities of the Security Service of Ukraine, and Mr. Arsen Avakov was appointed acting Minister of Interior.